What Are Nic Salts?
Nicotine Salts Explained
Nicotine salts are the natural state of nicotine in the tobacco leaf. They are compounds consisting of free base nicotine bound to one or more organic constituents. Naturally, nicotine does not exist on its own in the tobacco leaf; instead, it links through hydrogen bonding or other inter-molecular forces to organic molecules on the tobacco leaves. Combinations of different organic constituents can be selected to harness the differing properties of nicotine inhalation character, such as making nicotine either pack a punch or reduce irritation and bite.
Nicotine Salts vs. Free Base Nicotine
Standard free base nicotine is a single molecule, while nicotine salts are complexes. Nicotine salt is much more suitable for vaporization due to its unusual inhalation characteristics. Nicotine salts also offer a way of stabilizing the nicotine molecule; this makes nicotine less prone to oxidation and extends its shelf life. One noticeable difference is the harshness induced by higher nicotine levels. Freebase nicotine has a higher pH level which affects the alkalinity- making freebase e-liquid taste harsher as you climb the nicotine ladder
Nicotine Salt & Blood Absorption
Nicotine salts possess a different pH than that of free base nicotine. Some nicotine salts may be closer to the physiological pH of specific membranes in the esophagus and lungs; therefore, nicotine salts exhibit differing inhalation and absorption properties. For instance, by delivering nicotine into the bloodstream faster and more efficiently, the user will have an experience bearing more semblance to combustible cigarettes.
How Are Nic Salts Made? (Short Version)
Nicotine salts are an extract from tobacco leaves, but they undergo different fractional distillation and chromatography than standard nicotine. They are natural products isolated from tobacco leaves or can be linked to synthetically/chemically.
Benefits of Nicotine Salt
Taking a step back from the science behind nicotine slats, what is the advantage vs. regular nicotine found in most e-liquids?
- You’ll get more nicotine, more quickly: In general, nicotine salts paired with the right device seem to get nicotine to your blood more quickly. This experience more closely resembles the experience of users with combustible tobacco. This advancement is a massive step for the vaping community since the higher nicotine levels, and the instant rush you get from nicotine salts will help immensely in quitting cigarettes. Some may argue that nic salts are more effective in fighting cravings than the other devices in the market.
- You don’t need a powerful device: Nicotine salt e-liquids are best with low wattage (non-sub-ohm) devices.
- Nicotine salt E-Liquid has a longer shelf-life: Nicotine salts are more stable than freebase nicotine, which means that nicotine salt e-juice will last longer in storage without the nicotine degrading.
- Smoother tasting and less nicotine bite: Nicotine salt can create a better vaping experience in general for those who want to vape at higher nicotine levels. The throat hit will not be as harsh compared to the freebase nicotine at the same standards.
- Use Less E-liquid: Because of the high nicotine levels and better absorption, you will not need to consume as much e-juice. Less vapor production is required and can be a big plus for someone who is looking for a more low-profile device that works arguably better for your nicotine satisfaction
Best Devices for Vaping Nicotine Salt
Nicotine salts e-liquid is intended for use in lower-power devices – there are several Open System and Closed System devices on the market with new options arriving all the time. Here are a few of our favorites to consider:
- Smok Nord
- Aspire Breeze 2
- VooPoo Panda
- Rincoe Ceto